Gilmerton – Juniper green p. 149
W.S., Leith, and widow of Thomas Merricks, Roslin.
18'74 DAVID THOMAS WALKER, born Musselburgh, 30th Sept. 1839, second son of Andrew W., schoolmaster, Whitekirk, and Jean Telfer; educated at High School and Univ. of Edinburgh; licen. by Presb. of Dunbar; assistant at Trinity Parish, Edinburgh; ord. 18th June 1874; died 27th April 1881.
1881 JAMES CHRISTIE, born Foulis-Wester, 30th Aug. 1835, son of Robert C. and Jane Wilson; educated at Foulis Wester and Monzie schools, and Univ. of St Andrews; licen. by Presb. of St Andrews 30th Jan. 1861; ord. same day by Presb. of St Andrews, to the Jewish Mission station at Alexandria; missionary at Constantinople 1861 to 1879; adm. to Gilmerton 31st Oct. 1881; D.D. (St Andrews 1882); librarian to the General Assembly from 1885; died 9th June 1913. He marr. (1) 30th Sept. 1863, Mary Hamilton (died 5th June 1883), and had issue-Robert, born 29th July 1864; Mary Christina, born 11th Nov. 1865; Alexander Hamilton, ruin. at Rerrick, born 8th July 1867; James, born 29th April 1875; David Hamilton, M.A., born 22nd Jan. 1877: (2) 31st Aug. 1887, Jane T. Jack, and had issue-Thomas Jack, born 23rd Feb. 1889; Graham Wilson, M.B., Ch.B., born 11th March 1891. Publications - Translation of Old Testament into Judaeo -Spanish for American Bible Society (Constantinople, 1873); New Testament into Judaeo-Spanish for British and Foreign Bible Society (1877); edited General Assembly Commission Records 1646-96, 2 vols., Scot. Hist. Soc. (1892-6), edited third vol. 1650-2 (1909); Biographical Sketch of author prefixed to Professor Mitchell's Scottish Reformation (1900).
1913 JOSEPH MOFFETT, born Letterkenny, 23rd Aug. 1885, son of Joseph M., D.D., and Lizzie Beck; educated privately, and at Royal University of Ireland; (B.A. 1906); licen. by Presb. of Edinburgh May 1909 - assistant Trinity Parish, Edinburgh, and St Columba's, London; ord. 16th Sept. 1913.
[After the Rev. James Robertson had ministered for nearly twenty years to the workers and others connected with Granton Harbour, the Duke of Buccleuch gifted the church (built in 1877), along with an endowment of £50, to the Church of Scotland. Erected into a parish quoad sacra in Jan. 1889, having been disjoined from Cramond, Dean, and St Bernard's parishes.]
1889 THOMAS SMITH GOLDIE, born 7th Feb. 1857, son of William G., min. of Crawfordjohn, and Mary Smith; educated at Robertson's Academy, Edinburgh, and Univ. of Edinburgh; M.A. (23rd April 1878); licen. by Presb. of Edinburgh 1880; assistant at Methil, Old Kirk, Edinburgh, Largs, Galashiels, Langholm; app. July 1888 to take charge of Granton Chapel; ord. and ind. 15th Feb. 1889. Marr. 19th Feb. 1889, Maria, fourth daugh. of Nathaniel Gosling, Cheltenham, and Christina Clark, and has issue - Mary, born 30th Dec. 1889 (marr. 5th April 1911, Ernest Maclagan Wedderburn, W.S., D.Sc.); William, born 19th Aug. 1891; Margaret Somerville, born 26th Oct. 1893; Nora Isabel, born 2nd Nov. 1895; James Smith, born 23rd May 1897, died nth July 1897; Ruth Elizabeth Evangeline, born 30th March 1902.
[The congregation dates from 1892. On 21st Feb. of that year an iron church was opened, and at the first celebration of the Communion on 20th March following, there were present eighty-seven communicants. The foundation stone of the present building was laid in June 1895, by Gavin, Marquess of Breadalbane, Lord High Commissioner, and the church was opened 23rd Jan. 1897, by Archibald Scott, D.D., Moderator of Assembly. Erected from Colinton into a parish quoad sacra by decreet of the Court of Teinds, 30th Nov. 1906.]