St Leonard’s – St Luke’s p. 110
ST LEONARD'S (Q.S.).
[The first church, opened 6th April 1879, was destroyed by fire on the morning of 21st Nov. of the same year. A new church was erected, and opened 21st May 1880, and the district formed into a parish quoad sacra in 1884.]
1879 LEWIS FREDERICK ARMITAGE, born Leeds, 17th June 1838, son of John A. and Mary Carter; educated at Leeds, Glasgow, and Edinburgh; a Primitive Methodist min. in England, and at Motherwell and Edinburgh; adm. to Church of Scotland 1878; ord. 16th July 1879; died 8th Sept. 1903. He marr. 19th Aug. 1879, Jane Edmonstone, daugh. of Robert Morham, depute city clerk, Edinburgh, and had issue-Lewis Frederick, lay missionary of the Church of Scotland in Nyasaland, born 9th Oct. 1880; Janet Mary, born 21st April 1883; Helen Rosehannah, born 8th June 1885; Elizabeth, born 6th April 1887; Phoebe Jane, born 8th Jan. 1893.
1904 JOHN CALDER, born Old Aberdeen, 21st May 1875, son of William C. and Jennie Keith Fiddes; educated at Gordon's College and Aberdeen Univ.; M.A. (1900); tutor in the Church of Scotland Normal Practising School, Aberdeen; licen. by Presb. of Aberdeen 1903; assistant at Turriff; ord. 19th Feb. 1904; res. 9th Oct. 1912, and settled in Australia. Marr. 1st Aug. 1906, Euphemia Thom, youngest daugh. of Duncan Duthie Mackie, Singapore, Straits Settlements, and has issue-Ruve Fiddes Duthie, born 4th July 1909.
1913 WILLIAM LIDDLE, born Linlithgow, 26th April 1864, son of William L; educated at Linlithgow Grammar School and Univ. of Edinburgh; M.A. (1896), B.D. (1890); licen. by Presb. of Linlithgow 1890; assistant at Partick; ord. to Grahamston, South Africa, 28th Dec. 1896; res. 1900; app. to St Margaret's Chapel-of-Ease, Glasgow, 1901; trans. and adm. 10th April 1913. He marr. 21st May 1907, Florence Louisa, daugh. of Oscar Nystrom, Stockholm, and has issue-Florence Gunilla Anne
Nystrom, born 20th April 1910; Margaret, born 30th June 1912; William John, born 18th Oct. 1913. Publication-Sweden (London, 1911).
[A church in Young Street, originally a Unitarian chapel, was purchased by the Kirk-session of St George's in 1834, and rebuilt. It was opened for public worship 28th May 1837. In 1843 the minister, the twelve elders, and the trustees joined the Free Church, retaining possession of the building. They were, however, ejected on 4th March 1849, and services in connection with the Church of Scotland were resumed. The church and district were constituted a chapel-of-ease by the General Assembly in 1841, and erected into a parish by decree of the Court of Teinds, 11th Feb. 1863. The district having become depopulated, an Act of Parliament (3 Edward VII. cap. 66) was obtained to transfer the endowments, minister, etc., to a new church and parish to be erected within the city of Edinburgh. A new church was accordingly built at Comely Bank, and opened for worship 10th Oct. 1908. The old parish was reannexed to St George's, and the new parish (taken chiefly from the Dean and partly from St Bernard's) was erected by decree of the Court of Teinds on 6th Feb. 1909.]
1835 ALEXANDER MOODY-STUART, born Paisley, 15th June 1809, sixth son of Andrew Moody of Muirshiel, banker, Paisley, and Margaret Fulton McBrair; M.A. (Glasgow 1830); licen. by Presb. of Glasgow 5th Oct. 1831; missionary in Holy Island, Northumberland, 1831-5; under the Kirk - session of St George's, Edinburgh, began in 1835 the work of gathering a congregation in Young Street; ord. first min. 27th July 1837. .Joined Free Church and became min. of St Luke's Free Church 1843; convener of Jewish Mission of Free Church from 1847 to 1889 (with a brief interval); Moderator of the General Assembly of the Free Church, 1875; D.D. (Edinburgh 1875); died at Crieff, 31st July 1898. All his life he was a strong supporter of the principle of